Thursday 28 October 2010

Understanding The Signs

Sooo after much hesitation and deliberation my very first post - and blog for that matter!
Exciting stuff! :) (and just a tad scary)


So I thought I'd start it all off with a little bit of semiotics...

I'd always taken the majority of images I view at face value (having never studied semiotics and being quite ignorant of it.)
Now, having learnt of the subject in all its glory I am able to read more into the photographs that I see everyday in magazines, newspapers, online etc. Not only images by photographers but also my own photos.

Taking one of my own, for example, I am able to produce certain facts about the image that the viewer may easily discern:




Denotation - Trees. Flowers

Connotation - The absence of leaves on the tree show that Winter has just passed with the white blooms proving that Spring has arrived.


By doing this you open yourself up to the image and allow yourself to understand more of the world of which the photographer has captured. 

I actually really enjoyed this lecture (even though i started off a bit confused) and feel that wanting to know more and looking for the signs will definately be something I'll be doing whenever certain images catch my eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment